Faculty of Management and Security Studies
MISSION AND DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY OF THE FACULTY OF MANAGEMENT AND SECURITY STUDIES OF UNIVERSITY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES IN WARSAW FOR 2017-2022
The mission of the Faculty of Management and Security Studies is to educate professionals who are competitive on the national and international labour market and socially responsible, able to meet the requirements of the 21st century, prepared to actively and creatively participate in solving social problems of significant importance and to carry out research and scientific projects at the highest level.
The aim is to continuously improve the quality of education, expand scientific and research activities, internationalise the teaching process and create good relations with the business environment and the public sector.
The values identifying the identity of the Management Faculty-high culture of education quality, professionalism, innovation and creativity, sensitivity to social needs, high standards of professional ethics and openness and tolerance.
The Management Faculty and Security Studies lecturers fully identify with that. They are characterized by considerable involvement, high level of motivation and striving for self-improvement and raising qualifications in accordance with the challenges facing contemporary education, taking into account current trends and changes in the environment. Two areas in particular are of key importance here -innovative scientific research and didactics based on it, using creative and modern methods to activate students. Lecturers at the Faculty of Management and Security Studies can pride themselves on their varied, up-to-date and documented academic achievements within the discipline of management, as well as related disciplines, which is in line with current trends in education that emphasise the role of interdisciplinarity. This enables both the delivery of classes at an appropriately high level. A significant part of the staff also has professional experience related to management, including expert experience in management functions, which supports the realisation of subjects oriented towards preparing students for the expectations of the labour market.
VISION FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE FACULTY OF MANAGEMENT AND SECURITY STUDIES OF UNIVERSITY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES IN WARSAW
The vision for the development of the Faculty of Management and Security Studies sets the direction of aspirations and actions for the near future, i.e. 2017-2022, and concerns all aspects of the functioning of the Faculty. Desired state in 2022:
- High quality of all aspects of educational processes.
- Education of developmentally caring graduates sought after on the national and international labour market.
- Individualization of education, taking into account the aspirations and expectations of students to achieve professional competence.
- Increase the number and rank of conducted scientific research and research projects.
- Improvement of motivation, mobility, openness to the development of scientific and didactic staff.
- Reinforcement of relations with business practice.
- High level of internationalization of the Faculty and the educational process.
- Adaptation of the premises, architectural and didactic conditions to the educational needs, including the specific needs of persons threatened by social and professional defavorisation, including students with various disabilities.
- Improvement of the effectiveness of the Faculty resources management and stability of financing.
- Creation of new fields of study and obtaining further authorizations to confer degrees in the areas of knowledge, fields and scientific disciplines represented at the Faculty.
STRATEGIC GOALS FOR 2017-2022
In accordance with its mission, promoted values and vision for the future, the Faculty of Management and Security Studies focuses its efforts on the development of four areas: education, scientific and research activities, creating good relations with the environment and shaping a friendly academic environment. Each of these areas is related to significant challenges posed by the contemporary world. And the inevitability of globalisation processes, encompassing the economy, culture and science, prompts us to set the following strategic objectives as priorities for 2017-2022:
- Improving the quality of education and the educational offer.
- Making the educational process more practical as an opportunity to better adapt graduates' qualifications to the needs of the Polish and international labour market.
- Internationalisation and mobility of the research and teaching staff and students as the basis of professional preparation of students to function in the global community and high international level of scientific and research activity.
- To ensure high substantive and didactic level of the research and teaching staff, including through the development of their scientific and research activities.
- Development of cooperation with the socio-economic environment as a form of popularization and commercialization of scientific research and activation of practitioners in the education process.
- Formation of a friendly academic environment, including the creation of conditions for disabled students and other economically and socially disadvantaged students to participate equally in the education process.
- Improvement of the effectiveness of management and financing as a guarantee of the stable functioning of the Faculty.
- Strengthening the positive image of the Faculty as an innovative, open to the environment, reliable on the international arena, entrepreneurial Faculty - friendly to students and employees, educating professionals to meet the needs of the 21st century, taking care of the quality of the educational process and the development of scientific research.
THE ABOVE STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES THE FACULTY OF MANAGEMENT AND SECURITY STUDIES INTENDS TO ACHIEVE THROUGH THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE FOLLOWING TASKS:
1. In the area of improvement of the quality of education and the educational offer:
- transferring the latest knowledge in the field of the taught scientific disciplines and general academic knowledge,
- shaping skills that increase employability in the profession and equipping students with the necessary professional competences on the basis of the predicted development in a given area and the related social and economic needs,
- individualising education, creating conditions for the development of the most talented and ambitious students, taking into account the expectations of different groups of students concerning the development of professional competences,
- shaping abilities to adapt to changes occurring in the labour market,
- consolidating activities strengthening students' awareness of the need for continuous improvement of their qualifications and lifelong learning,
- equipping with knowledge and skills to use modern techniques, including the latest information technologies, allowing for conscious and efficient functioning in a complex world,
- shaping cooperation and teamwork management skills
- to develop creativity and entrepreneurship among students,
- shaping ethical and committed civic attitudes
- promoting openness to the world and sensitivity to culture, public discourse and social communication
- awakening sensitivity to the natural environment and global issues of sustainable development,
- increasing the effectiveness of the internal educational quality management system and building a quality culture respectful of academic values.
2. In the area of making the educational process more practical:
- creating conditions for students to acquire necessary practice related to their field of study and to certify their skills,
- increasing the share of practical classes conducted by experienced practitioners,
- ensuring a variety of forms of transferring knowledge and developing skills, and increasing the share of classes using IT techniques,
- organization of student internships and work placements,
- systematic monitoring of employers' expectations,
- mobilising students to develop practical skills and self-education,
- supporting students in defining and managing their professional career path,
- increasing the participation of practitioners in the didactic process and in the process of creating and improving education programmes,
- building relations with the Faculty graduates in order to improve educational offer adjusted to the labour market needs.
3. In the area of internationalisation and mobility of students and research and teaching staff:
- conducting an active employment policy aimed at increasing among the research and teaching staff the share of competent, mobile and open to the world academic teachers with research experience and scientific degrees from strong national and foreign centres
- popularization and promotion of the possibility of realizing a part of the studies programme in a national or foreign university other than the mother institution, as well as performing professional practice during studies,
- increasing flexibility in the organisation of the course of studies for foreign students, with the possibility of realising the full programme of studies at the Faculty or studying selected subjects, also using the Internet
- introduction and improvement of international cooperation programmes in the fields of education, science and cooperation with the environment
- searching for partner universities in the field of education and scientific research in order to exchange experiences in achieving the objectives set out in the strategy.
4. In the area of ensuring high substantial and didactic level of the scientific and didactic staff (including through the development of its scientific and research activity):
- creation of new knowledge by conducting scientific research,
- assimilating the results of research conducted in the world, popularising science and spreading awareness of its importance for the knowledge society,
- motivating staff to conduct developmental research and commercialisation of knowledge consolidating the links between the academic world and the economic environment,
- development of activities aimed at gaining external financial resources for scientific research and development works, publication of their results, as well as financing of conferences
- intensification of activities leading to an increase in the share of works leading to scientific degrees (doctorates and habilitation) of academic staff
- publishing the results of the research work of the Faculty's academic staff in renowned scientific, university and non-university journals, as well as in foreign journals
- developing scientific cooperation with academic and research centres in the region, at home and abroad,
- creation of appropriate conditions for scientific development and improvement of didactic skills of academic teachers by providing opportunities for cooperation with domestic and foreign scientific and academic centres, internships and training, joint scientific projects, etc.
- supporting scientific research with high implementation potential.
5. In the area of developing cooperation with the socio-economic environment:
- perceiving and satisfying the educational needs of the socio-economic environment,
- supporting the transfer of research results into social and economic practice, especially those implemented within scientific schools and research institutes, as well as the commercialisation of research achievements,
- engaging scientific teams in social and economic practice and promoting a two-way flow of innovation
- active cooperation with employers, based on analysis and identification of current needs of employers in terms of professional qualifications expected at given work posts,
- consultations with representatives of the socio-economic environment in the field of competences possessed by the graduates of the Faculty of Management and Security Studies
- co-development and improvement of educational programmes in cooperation with business partners and other entities from the socio-economic environment in order to adapt the educational offer to the needs of the labour market
- to develop cooperation with the graduates of the Faculty, both in terms of education and commercialization of scientific research,
- increasing the participation of practitioners in the teaching process and scientific research,
- supporting enterprises, local authorities and public administration with expert knowledge,
- support the development of civil society and social debate and communication,
- contribute to the development of the region and modernisation of the economy, and genuinely participate in initiatives concerning the development of the region, modernisation of the economy, improvement of the quality of services provided by various sectors of the economy and local government units.
6. In the area of shaping a friendly academic environment:
- introducing mechanisms which effectively support increasing the number of students from disadvantaged environments, including environments remote from large urban centres,
- Establishing curricula adapted in terms of organization and implementation to the requirement of ensuring equal access for persons from various social backgrounds,
- Increasing flexibility in the organization of the course of studies, forms of examinations and ways of participation in physical education classes,
- creating conditions for disabled students for equal participation in the education process (including further elimination of architectural barriers, purchase of equipment, specialist software or specialist and scientific literature, supporting education of persons with various health dysfunctions)
- building relations between teaching staff, administrative staff of the Faculty and students based on mutual respect, understanding and openness
- realisation of pro-student policy at the Faculty through, among others, individual approach to the needs, abilities, interests and expectations of each student
- creating favourable conditions for students to pursue an educational programme and learn independently
- providing academic and administrative staff with opportunities for professional development,
- creating appropriate conditions for students to develop in their chosen field of study, to develop their passions and interests, and to take all kinds of initiatives outside the curriculum (voluntary work, membership of study clubs, participation in conferences, seminars not included in the compulsory education programme, etc.).
7. In the area of improving efficiency of management and financing:
- increasing the effective use of the University's human resources (teaching, scientific and administrative), premises and financial resources,
- simplification and virtualisation of the procedures in force,
- systematic control and optimisation of operating costs in adaptation to the changing economic, technological conditions and progress of science.
8. In the area of enhancing the positive image of the Faculty of Management and Security Studies:
- creating a culture of quality of education that integrates respect for academic values and an entrepreneurial model of functioning of the Faculty,
- student-orientation in the quality policy,
- adjusting education and research to the needs of the labour market and local community,
- conducting applied research at a high level,
- selection of staff with high qualifications and aiming at scientific development at an international level,
- ensuring very good conditions of studying and work,
- ensuring a high degree of internationalization of the Faculty.
|Dean of the Faculty of Management and Security Studies|
dr Krzysztof Kandefer, Professor of UoSS
|Vice-Dean for Polish Programmes|
dr Eliza Nowacka, Professor of UoSS
|Vice-Dean for International Students|
dr. Michał Szostak, Professor of UoSS